• India is located entirely in the northern hemisphere; the south-central part of the continent of Asia.
• The mainland of India extends between latitudes 804’N and 3706’N and longitudes 6807’E and 97025’E
• The southern boundary extends up to 6°45′ N latitude in the Bay of Bengal.
•With an area of 3.28 million square km, India is the 7th largest country in the world.
•The six largest countries of the world in decreasing order are Russia, Canada, the USA, China, Brazil, and Australia.
•India accounts for about 2.4 percent of the total geographical area of the world.
•India has a total land boundary of about 15,200 km. From Gujarat (westernmost) to Arunachal Pradesh (easternmost), there is about 300 difference; there is a time difference of two hours between Gujarat and Arunachal Pradesh.
• The maximum length of the mainland from north to south is about 3214 km. The maximum length of the mainland from east to west is about 2933 km.
• Indian Standard Time is ahead of Greenwich (00 or Prime Meridian) Mean Time by 5 hours and 30 minutes.
• Tropic cancer (23030’N) passes through Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura, and Mizoram. The difference in latitudinal extent influences the duration of day and night.
India & Neighbors
•India has a total of 29 States, 6 Union Territories, and 1 National Capital Territory.
•India shares its international boundaries with Afghanistan and Pakistan
•The North-West; China, Tibet (China), Nepal, and Bhutan in the North and NorthEast; and Myanmar and Bangladesh in the East.
•Island countries Sri Lanka and the Maldives are India’s neighbors across the sea.
•The Maldives is a chain of islands located southwest of Sri Lanka and India in the Indian Ocean.